Friday, November 14, 2008

Only Dead in the Internet Sense

Oh, hello. Where was I? I was kidnapped. By Vikings.

But that's unimportant. What is important that I have returned (sort of). Or at least, I'm not dead (sort of). Besides Viking problems, I've had a non insubstantial amount of philosophy to write, work to do, friends to make, and grad schools to schmooze. So far, things have gone well. I have become rather good at writing on analytic philosophy when need be, I have a twenty page thesis on Heidegger and Nietzsche, I have new friends (several of which are professors here) and I have managed to get into contact with Richard Schacht and have a hope of studying under him at Urbana-Champaign. While my blog has suffered, my real life plans have become rather streamlined. Hooray for me.

Now for what to do here. I don't know when I'll write something next. I have decided not to do a second part of Being and Time for a number of reasons, namely (1) I have switched translations, (2) I have considerably changed my editing and citation methods, (3) there is little doubt my thoughts on Heidegger have sharpened noticeably, and (4) it's been a long time since I've actually opened Being and Time. So the two parts would simply be too disparate for it to be worth it. That, and I don't want to have to go through all my old notes as well as part one in order to get my mind back into it.

These days I'm thinking about different things. Mostly Nietzsche, Analytic philosophy, and evil (reflecting my classes). My shelf of unread books keeps growing, but, even though this weekend gives me my first free time in weeks, I don't know if I want to really do optional writing or just relax and be useless for a few days. Either way, I don't feel up to culling quotations if I don't have to, at least not at the moment. Certainly come winter break I'll go back to reading and writing (in fact, winter break will mark a year since my blog took this turn), and maybe (but maybe not) Thanksgiving time as well. I don't know. Until we meet again.

And watch out for Vikings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home