Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Courses

The semesterly course post. This is my last semester in undergrad; I finished my graduate applications earlier today, and now it's three easy courses to finish off my bachelor's. I've run out of philosophy classes to take (except Intro, and I don't think that's necessary at this point), so I've been a bit low on ideas. I've still got requirements to do, though.

GR202 - Intermediary German
EN125 - Introduction to Film (meets generic art requirement)

So that's two. What to do for the third? Ah, I know.

HS295 - Special Topics: Christianity

The history of Christianity. In the past year I've taken both world religions and philosophy of religion courses, so why not cap it off with some good old Christian history. I consider it a good way to see how far my reasoning powers have progressed, compared to what I might have thought in a similar course even a year ago. The professor is a former Methodist minister with an ecumenical approach (his specialty is Pope Urban III; think about that for a second) and an appreciation for in-class discussion. Today people tacked the question of whether religion is a necessary component of individual identity. As I recall, someone said that it seems so, because people who don't have religion as central to their lives don't seem to be very interesting people.

I'm going to enjoy this.

---

On a side note: I should add that I will be reading through Religion and Nothingness with another student and a professor as well, but it's not a course and is more just a matter of interest. But that's not starting for a while. In the mean time, prepare yourself, for Derrida is coming to steal your Enlightenment (hopefully within the next weekend or two)!

2 Comments:

Blogger sidfaiwu said...

Intermediary German? Es tut mier leid. After over 10 years of not touching it, that now consists of just bout the entire extent of my German (and I probably screwed it up in one way or another).

"As I recall, someone said that it seems so, because people who don't have religion as central to their lives don't seem to be very interesting people."

That may be true since 'interesting' is a subjective value judgment. I imagine that such a person would find both of our blogs quite uninteresting, even downright boring.

January 14, 2009 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

Es tut mir leid.

I'm looking forward to this Christianity course. This is actually the first semester since my very first, over three years ago, that I've been without a philosophy course. And since my other courses will be too easy, it's really the only place outside of personal activities where I'll be able to apply much thinking. To be honest, I'm hoping for a bunch of fundamentalist types to pop up in there to, you know, make things more interesting. ;)

January 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home