Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fifteen Books

Scott at Spiritual Tramp started it, and Sid followed along. Reading books is sort of my thing, so I thought, why not?

In no particular order:

1. Douglas Adams: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. My kind of humor.

2. J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings. Because I like epic stories, and it's hard to beat this. (I also love his essay On Fairy-Stories. It adds new layers of meaning to your next reading of LotR)

3. Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Brothers Karamazov. His last, his best.

4. Bram Stoker: Dracula. Better than any movie adaptation.

5. Desiderius Erasmus: Praise of Folly. Humanism as it should be: light-hearted but probing.

6. Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451. Bradbury's dystopia hit me closer than Huxley's or Orwell's, though each one has its own important features.

7. Voltaire: Candide. Because philosophy can be funny even if you don't know what it's addressing, exactly.

8. Albert Camus: The Myth of Sisyphus. My introduction to existentialism.

9. Friedrich Nietzsche: The Gay Science. As far as I'm concerned, this contains the single most important page in all of Nietzsche's works, aphorism 125.

10. Friedrich Nietzsche: Thus Spoke Zarathustra. My first encounter with Nietzsche, and still the most inviting/imposing of all his works.

11. Immanuel Kant: Critique of Pure Reason. Reading this was basically a crash course in philosophy as seriousness.

12. Martin Heidegger: Introduction to Metaphysics. I prefer it to Being and Time, and unrepentantly so.

13. Plato: Lots of Stuff. Because more philosophy should be done like this.

14. Maurice Merleau-Ponty: Phenomenology of Perception. When I want a more "standardized" version of Heidegger.

15. Ludwig Wittgenstein: Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. Lord knows why.

-----

If I had more space, I would include more Heidegger. And perhaps Milton.

Also, updates. When? Tomorrow. What? Critique of Practical Reason. And perhaps a second essay that I would at least like to start. I've worked the last ten days, so I haven't really had the chance to do much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home