Sunday, November 25, 2007

MUN

Late, but I haven't had the time - in fact, I don't have the time right now, but I'm doing it anyway. This semester has become so stupidly busy that I haven't had time to really think for weeks now, and it will be at least two more before I get the chance...ah well.

Anyway, going back to MUN. So, the Model United Nations conference was an experience that, while I don't think it will necessarily make my future better (and has in fact created much undue pressure), was still probably worth it. I did learn a few things, anyway.

The first is that people don't understand that they owe us. By us, I mean the US (whom it was my job to represent on human rights, of all things). First, I suppose, I should explain MUN a bit.

It's basically a UN sim. We act as delegates from different countries, with each school getting one or two countries. We go, we debate, we caucus (very important, the caucusing), and ultimately we pass weak resolutions with no enforcement power (God bless international relations!).

Okay, so, as I was saying. Criticisms aside, the US gives more in aid and various resources than any other country. We pay more than anyone else for the continuation of the UN. Now perhaps we should pay more, and perhaps the government can be hypocritical, but when the US is keeping you from being overrun by anti-government forces or selling you billions worth of advanced weaponry (I'm looking at you, delegate from Saudi Arabia) you should still probably think before you vote against me. Not saying it's right, just saying it's pragmatic politics in action, and the UN doesn't operate in a bubble free of world affairs.

A couple of my fellow US delegates in First Committee discussing nuclear and biological weapons took the pragmatic approach to the furthest possible level. While effective, I don't know if reminding Turkey of it's bid for EU membership each time you pass it by is good diplomacy. Right or not, however, they actually got results in that Committee. I went in looking to a specifically conciliatory approach, and got nothing, mostly because I had to spend my time running to individual delegates making sure they weren't doing anything against their pro-US policy (yes, Egypt, you will stick with me - the Muslim Brotherhood is bad).

Perhaps I'm just spiteful because I didn't get results. This was what I thought immediately after I left the conference. But, upon reflection, if MUN had gone over a period of months or years, the actions of my fellows in First Committee probably would have come back to bite them in the ass (note to future diplomats: while pulling 90% of Jordan's aid because it won't vote with you is absolutely hilarious, it reflects badly upon your country). I think my approach would have gone better had I had the time, but as it was I didn't, and I was foolishly unprepared for quick action, and so Third Committee passed a resolution virtually condemning crop eradication in order to get the Latin American vote (yay pork barrel!). Not only that, China voted for it! I'm sorry but China does not interfere in the crop eradication policies of other countries, and I get the feeling that if the Chinese government could eradicate its drug problem by spraying fields, it would in a heartbeat.

Also, my Committee's delegate from Israel was a lost cause. She made a single speech, in which she accepted negotiations with Palestine involving a return to the 1948 borders. She later told me that it was just empty negotiations, that she felt Israel wouldn't give in anyway. This is true, but it's also true that Israel would sooner nuke the Occupied Territories than go to negotiations for a return to the 1948 borders.

So yeah, that's MUN. I got no grand moments of glory, just running around trying to figure out what the hell everyone is doing and hoping nothing stupid ends up in a resolution on the floor. Despite all this, I'd actually like to go back if I had the time, specifically as the US in the same Committee so that I could drop diplomacy and steamroll the assembly with a black list of who I give aid to and who I keep safe from terrorists. Diplomacy the way Bolton dreamed of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home