Friday, September 04, 2009

Grad School

I've actually stepped into the institution enough now where I can actually call myself a grad student, I suppose. I've gone two weeks without getting thrown out or outright rejected (though I had a decidedly stern talking to at one point, but that's off the record and neither here nor there), and all signs point to my financial aid actually pulling through (though I remain suspicious, given how much the system has fought me, until everything checks out), so I should be around for a while (nine years, anyone?).

The school is a large (and I mean large) state school, with a philosophy department of more than twenty professors of differing ranks, a few rather well established and many with strong research histories as well as promising ones, and several dozen grad students. Into this exact situation I fit amazingly fortuitously; for, you see, when it comes down to it, despite my research interests, I'm in it for the teaching. This school is exactly the right size, established and highly competent but not in any way mistakable for a top-ten school. The students at high-level schools are always targeted by prestigious research institutions and those looking for a researching name to add to their roster; and since that's what many are in it for, they take those jobs. High-level teaching institutions, on the other hand, know they won't get those students, and so actually tend not to seek them. Instead, they scope out the echelon just below top-ten and top-twenty schools - which is where this institution comfortably sits. And a high-level teaching school is where I want to be. Add to this the fact that, finally, as in as of this year, this school has realized its position in terms of producing teachers versus researchers, and so has finally begun heavily emphasizing the teaching aspects of the job with this batch of students (three, including myself), and I end up exactly where I would have hoped to be, even though I never planned on it. Funny how that works out.

Furthermore, talking to others and hearing their experiences as well as thinking about my own over the past three weeks has led to the conclusions that this is one of the friendliest, least-competitive (at least amongst the grad students) departments of its kind. Hell, any philosophy department with a grad student happy hour is worth it.

As a result of this situation, there are special steps being taken to assist with teaching, grading, etc. for the new grads. I much like this. The university itself has a teaching certification program I'm aiming at as well.

So, how is the teaching? Given I am who I am, and what my experience is, there is no fear. I would go so far as to say that I don't think just anyone could improvise a Ministry of Silly Walks imitation their second session and pull it off, but I did. Since the first week was largely initiation to college writing, we actually got to discuss today, and I was proud as hell afterward.

There's colloquia almost weekly, and I'm slowly familiarizing myself with the grad students and the professors, who are an exceptional bunch for the most part. It just so different from my undergrad, where there was really no motivation to support philosophy, on the part of the students and (perhaps causally reciprocally) the professors to a lesser degree. Everyone here is more motivated, and that makes a hell of a difference.

2 Comments:

Blogger sidfaiwu said...

That sounds incredibly cool. Man, I miss teaching college courses. Someday I swear I'll 'retire' into that career.

September 8, 2009 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Though the market for full-time positions is often bad, colleges and state universities are often looking for adjuncts or temporary, non-tenure track positions that you would probably find suit you well. Also, you'd probably have better odds of finding a job in general than me, as you wouldn't be going into that career nightmare called philosophy ;)

September 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home